BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

Hello Uganda!

I made it! So far it has been the most amazing experience ever! Of course along the way, there were little pit falls, such as, one of my bags got lost, my shampoo exploded, and at customs in London, the passport checker held up my passport and asked said, "Doesn't she look crazy?" ha ha it was great! But once we landed in Uganda I was taken aback at how beautiful it is here! The people, the culture, and the scenery. There is just one main road and there are all these little shops along the sides that are completely outside. There are even furniture stores outside which I thought was interesting! It was really sad though, as we were driving (O the driving is INSANE here) we were stopped in a jam that happens quite frequently and this little boy runs up to my window and hold his hand up to me. He wasn't speaking English, but I knew that he was begging. Soon, some other children ran up as well and I didn't know what to do! I wished that I could give them everything, but I didn't have any coins and they told us that we shouldn't always hand out money. ANother thing that is very different here is that we stick out like a sore thumb times ten! Everywhere we go, you hear people muttering mzungu this and mzungu that which means white person in Lugandan. It is also interesting to see that the people all dress so nice. Eventhough they live in an area that isn't, they dress in collered shirts and skirts all the time. This made us stick out even more, you can only look so good after three days and two nights of traveling with no change of clothes or showers and no sleep. I have never been so tired! As we left the airport my eyes were glued open as my eyes poured over the sights and sounds of the cities we passed through, but eventually I had to give in to sleep and I was out! We also learned that sometimes they sell contaminated water in normal bottles. We learned this the hard way. . . we bought some water and our country director got this worried look on her face and ran over and told us that they drill holes on the bottom of some of them and sure enough. . ours had a hole! But (mom and dad) don't worry I am not sick! We are actually staying in Mukono tonight because our house is currently under construction. But it is new apparently, but very small. I'm so excited to see it and Lugazi! We are venturing there tomorrow and I can hardly wait! Lugazi is where I'll call home for the next two and a half months! Wahoo!

0 comments: