BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Being at a tourist attraction while being a tourist attraction. . . .

This past weekend, we packed up and headed out on our Safari. It has been something that we have been looking forward to all summer long. So we drove up to Kampala and stayed the night in a hostile before heading out on a 5 hour bumpy taxi ride to the middle of nowhere! It was an awesome drive though. Along the way, we stopped at Murchison Falls which is an incredible waterfall! It looks like an entire ocean is being poured down a tiny canyon so water is literally exploding everywhere! It's pretty amazing! We were also shocked to see tons of baboons and wart hogs or pumbas as we preferred to call them. The best way I can think to describe what it looked like was you know in lion king when simba goes off with timon and pumba to the junglish area? Well that's exactly what it looked like.
Finally we made it to our Red Chili camp site and settled into our little tents. Before we arrived, they told us that there were going to be wart hogs all over and that, "they think they are domestic, but they really aren't". They were everywhere!!! Kind of like squirrels back home up the canyon. So once we were settled we came back up to the main area to order dinner. Then my family called and so I was so excited to talk with them that I just left my food for awhile. But as I was talking I thought, I can eat and talk at the same time! So I went and sat in this little chair, with my food, talking on the phone when suddenly, my chair fell backwards, I did a summersault over the back, spilled all my food, and managed to keep talking to my mom through it all! I guess you could say it was done with quite the skill! But the whole place was laughing it was rather embarrassing. . .
The next morning we went on our first game drive! It was so so awesome! We saw TONS of giraffes, elephants, deer things, more baboons and wart hogs etc. However we missed seeing lions by a few minutes! Apparently, they were just walking down the road earlier and we just missed them! Then in the afternoon, we went out on a boat to see all the animals coming to the shores of the Nile to drink and get cool. We saw all the same types of animals but we also saw tons of hippos and crocadiles. There was actually one crocadile that was lurking near some hippos and our tour guide said it was probably getting ready to attack.
The next day, we headed over to the rhino sanctuary. There are only 9 hippos still in the wild today and they are all in the rhino sanctuary here in Uganda. I had been super sick the night before so I didn't actually hike to go and see them, but my group said they were able to see a mother rhino and her calf. Once there are 30 rhinos in the sanctuary which will take about 10ish more years, they will be able to release them into Murchison Falls.
Well it was a great weekend and we have another busy week ahead of us! Can't wait!

0 comments: