BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

"Birungi, you have to kick the ball!"

So I have been thinking that I am turning each of my blog posts into a novel. . so I'm going to limit myself to writing about one fun thing and then one project story for each post.
I am going to tell you about the soccer adventures that we have had here. So The Youth Outreach Mission helped set up a soccer team for some street boys who are orphans. The hope was that by getting them together to play soccer and teaching them a health lesson, they could keep them out of trouble. Their next project is finding them a place to stay. but for now they have a team of about 24 boys between the ages of 8-12 I think. On Thursdays, we attempt to help their team practice by getting some of us together and playing against them. . however, we get our butts kicked each time. Even when we have Wilson, Godfrey, and their two coaches on our team. . we lose! But it is super fun anyways! But many of you probably already know that I am really and I mean REALLY uncoordinated at soccer and since everyone is so good here, they can't really understand what is wrong with me! Hence the reason that Wilson always tells me, "Birungi, you have to KICK the ball" after an attempted kick. That was when I discovered my version of playing soccer is throwing myself at the ball, covering my head and hoping to block it somehow! But we have a good time! Although the people here think it is very strange that girls are playing soccer. . . they give us very strange looks! It's still something I am trying to figure out. If it is just not culturally appropriate for girls to play soccer or if they just don't want to!
This week me and Ally have still been working with coordinating things for the people with disabilities (PWD). We started out just hoping to do the choir thing, but it has expanded and now we are hopeing to create support groups for adults as well as the parents to try and sentitize parents about how to take care of their children with disablities as well as teach business classes and hopefully introduce the Ability Soap project so that they can have some sort of income generating project. It is going to be lots of work, especially after what happened Wednesday. So the pastor at the Lugazi House of Miracles invited us to come back and collect the names of people on Wednesday morning. They had a bunch of doctors and dentists there from Oregon and so there were tons of people from surroudning villages there to recieve treatement! He announced it to them and we ended up with a list of 45 people in that area alone who are interested (we were planning on 8-10) plus we have a whole other group of people who are going to be meeting on Thursday! We have so much work to do! For the most part if you have disablities you are left to fend for yourself in Uganda. They have no way of generating income or friends that can help support them. We are working with the members from the town council and so we are hoping that this project can go someplace! It's just difficult having so much to do and so little time!!
O I know I was only going to write about 2 things, but I have to just mention one more thing. We are planning an eye camp coming up from July 13-15 and we currently have enough funds to screen 1000 people, perform 40 cateract surgeries, and hand out some glasses and eye drops. However, if we had $1000 more dollars, we could double the number! If anyone is interested they can visit the HELP website to participate. Just include Lugazi Eye Camp before you submit!

0 comments: