BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Success!!

So first off, apparently I am beginning to fit in here a little more than I expected! On Tuesday, I was walking hom and I ran into Pastor Francis. So I stopped to say oliyotia and he said, "O you look black!" ha ha it was a funny moment! I must be getting a little tanner than I thought!
Just like always, this week has been absolutely incredible! I could go on for pages and pages, but I think I will just tell you about the highlight which was our first meeting for the disablity choir and the support group. We hadn't been having the best of luck so in all honesty, I was expected very few people to actually show up. However, I was so suprised to see about 50 disabled adults and children along with their parents there waiting for us! I was so happy to see all our hard work amount to something! We began with Sandra introducing everything to them in Luganda (which is always a little scary because we don't have any idea what she is telling them). Then we spoke to them for a few minutes before inviting all the kids to come and sit in a circle on the grass to begin singing and dancing.
I don't know if I am just getting weaker or the experiences here are continually getting more amazing, but I seem to have more and more break your heart moments and this was definitely one of them. They were the sweetest kids I have ever seen and they were all so excited to sing some songs. When we were thinking of songs for them to perform in the Aids Extravaganza, we thought of many options, but felt like we should have them sing something in their native language. So we had Sandra come up with a few options and we thought it would be fun to have then sing "You are My Sunshine" in Luganda. The plan was that Sandra would come help us teach them. But, the parents began bombarding her with questions so we were on our own. So we tried to teach them it in English, but realized that without any teaching aids it was rather difficult. So we ended up making up actions on the spot. . . . ha ha if anyone knows a good action for "when skies are grey" it would be greatly appreciated! Then we ended up just singing some fun songs with them that involved a lot of actions so that the children who are mute could participate. It was so much fun and when you saw the kids smile it just made everything so worth it!
After we finished we were all just around the church talking and I went over to these 3 little boys about 10 years old who sang at our practice. They were very shy and didn't say much. I decided to try and teach them "Down by the Banks" as a little game. It took awhile for them to catch on to the hand motions and we moved very slow, but it was so rewarding to see how happy they were when we got it down. I ran over and grabbed some members of our team to perform it for and the kids got so excited! I can't wait for them to be able to perform their song in a few weeks! I know that it will be something they don't get the opportunity to do normally and that it will make them so happy! We are having another practice with them today and we have some homeade instruments for them if they would rather! I can't wait!
Our other practice with another group of children was supposed to be yesterday, but unfortunately, no one showed up! But there were a ton of school kids there so we just decided to stay and sing with them anyways and it was a blast!
Things are still going great here! There are hard, frustrating, emotionally draining, and painful moments, but it is all so worth it! A common phrase that is heard numerous times in our house is, "How come our lives our so great?" I'm just so grateful for this experience!

0 comments: